DEDICATION OF CHRIST CHURCH
Home Timeline DEDICATION OF CHRIST CHURCH

1944 - DEDICATION OF CHRIST CHURCH

Originally founded in 1819 at a site in downtown Rio, Christ Church is the only English-speaking Anglican church in the city. The new building was given a more church-like appearance than its predecessor, but it still didn’t get any bells, based on the original permission given by the Roman Catholic Bishop in Rio, in 1810, which had allowed the practice of the Protestant faith as long as it was discreet.