The English Cemetery was founded soon after Dom João VI set up court in Rio, and is built on land donated by the Emperor. The first burial took place on January 5th, 1811, when a Mr William Bentley was buried, so the cemetery is now more than 200 years old. The cemetery is located at Rua da Gamboa, 181, behind the Central Railway Station and through Gamboa tunnel, in front of the Cidade do Samba. It can be approached through the Santa Barbara tunnel and Santo Cristo, or via the Central, with the option of taking the cable car (teleferico) over the Morro da Providencia to Rua da Gamboa. The street is now open, and the VLT tram system is working.